X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electra Glide - OK to go lower?

I have been contemplating lowering my rear suspension on my 1998 FLHTCI ElectraGlide for two reasons:
    1) To increase handling and make it easier for my petite wife to get on & off the bike
    2) To make the bike "look good"
    Any thoughts or suggestions as to the best workable height &/or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Also sources and manufacturers would be welcome.
    Bill
    Official HERD Member #0153
    Electra Glide Classic Touring 95th Anniversary #153/1000
    Charter Member-American Legion Riders Post #26 PA
    "You can NEVER have too much chrome!"

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

Re: Electra Glide - OK to go lower?

How well does it fit you now?
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

How well does it fit you now?
      Fits me OK (I'm 5'11") although center of gravity always seemed a little high. I was thinking somewhere around 2" drop would not interfere with suspension travel.
      Bill

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

Comment

Check out the Progressive lowering kit which does have a 2" lowering setting. Have you considered lowering the seat?
        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

2" wont interfere with anything. i dropped my 03 Electra from 13" to 11"....didnt have the cash to replace the air shocks with air shocks so i put a set of 11" spring shocks on. the ride is noticeably stiffer and not as comfortable as air, but it will give you a lower stance and handling is much much more responsive. you can go as low as 10 1/2" on the rear with out having to make any belt adjustment

stay away from the lowering brackets and just replace the shocks if you have the dough
          Twenty First Herdster
          * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
          ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
          99 FLSTF
          03 FLHTCI

Comment

I want to raise mine in the rear but lowering looks good. It's okay to lower it but do it correctly. If it were my bike and I wanted to do it on a budget, I'd get some Street Glide take offs from ebay. These shocks are lower than yours and are a direct replacement. You wont have the comfortable ride like you have now but it will be lower. I lowered a friends Street Glide 2" in the rear and 1" up front and I couldn't even ride it without dragging the boards in every turn. He wanted to use lowering blocks for the rear which was okay for him because he's light and never rides two up. I wouldnt do it if he rode two up. I wouldn't chance them failing under the weight.
            Last edited by CLL375; 09-07-2010, 09:06 AM.
            Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

Official HERD Member #00130

Comment

I lowered my RK 2" with the harley shorter air shocks(just lowered the rear), did not affect the ride and made it better in the handling department
              HERDSTER 115
              Herdstock II survivor
              Herdstock III survivor
              Herdstock IV survivor
              MOO TON CREW member
              I like the dog. If he can't eat it or f**k it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that
              sigpic

Comment

There is a company that I believe makes a spacer kit and all you gotta do is flip your swingarm upside down and there you have it real cheap. And you still have your air shocks.
                Dale
                Official HERD Member #00145
                Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

Thanks for all your input, I will let everyone know how things go. I will take before & after pix for all to see.
                  Bill
                  Bill

Comment

When lowering a bike you have to say to yourself " what do I want>?" Looks or handling? If you wat it to handle better, than a 1" drop is enough. Anymore then you start going the other way as far as handling in curves and twisties. But, that 's just my opinion.

Comment

When lowering a bike you have to say to yourself " what do I want>?" Looks or handling? If you wat it to handle better, than a 1" drop is enough. Anymore then you start going the other way as far as handling in curves and twisties. But, that 's just my opinion.
                      I think that I am going this way,
                      http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/drop-shocks/

The only concern that I have is that my factory center stand will not be very useful when I do it, but WTF anything for good looks and a little better handling.
                      Last edited by WAMMER; 10-04-2010, 11:48 AM. Reason: I cant fuggin' type!
                      Bill

Comment

I know its not a bagger by my Fatboy is lowered 2" and I scrape the heck outta my floorboards all the time, just something to think about. It does look good though
                        Josh
                        Herd Member #00042
                        2008 FLHTCU ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

I know its not a bagger by my Fatboy is lowered 2" and I scrape the heck outta my floorboards all the time, just something to think about. It does look good though
                          Thanks for the info, I usually don't take turns that tight, Mrs. Wammer is usually on the back seat, so I can't cowboy as much as I used to when I was younger (IE: dragging the pipes & knees in a turn).
                          Bill

Comment

Good lookin scooter Wammer !
                            Appalachian Redneck

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used and worn out, loudly proclaiming, "WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comment

How did it turn out wammer?
                              2010 Ultra Limited/Merlot/Cherry
                              Official HERD Member #00134

Comment

Working...
                              X